The League of Women Voters of Scarsdale is a volunteer nonpartisan political organization that promotes political responsibility through informed and active participation of citizens in government. The League is nonpartisan in that it does not support or oppose any political party or candidate for public office, but the League encourages its members, as individuals, to take part fully in the political process. The League is political in that it takes positions on selected governmental issues after serious member study and consensus.
The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
Friendly Timekeepers at LWVS Candidate Forum
(Nan and Carolyn)
- Voter Services/Citizen Ed.: we present unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process and issues at the national, state and local levels. The Scarsdale League sponsors Youth Services programs, such as Students Inside Albany, to educate young people about the democratic process. We also present speakers on issues of interest to our community at our bi-annual luncheons.
- Action/Advocacy: while we are nonpartisan, after study and agreement on positions through our consensus process, we advocate for or against particular issues in the public interest.
To conduct our voter service and citizen education activities, we use funds from the League of Women Voters Education Foundation of New York State, which is a 501(c)(3) corporation, a nonprofit educational organization. The League of Women Voters of Scarsdale, a membership organization, conducts action and advocacy and is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation.
Our Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions
guide our activities.
The 2016-2017 LWVS Board
To contact any individual listed below please Click Here. See a description of each of the LWVS committees by following this link.
- President-Deb Morel
- First Vice President-Janice Starr
- Second Vice President-Pam Rubin
- Recording Secretary-Joan Frankle
- Corresponding Secretary-Lisa Eisenstein
- Treasurer-Debbie Miller
LWVS By-laws Approved Sept. 20, 2016
- Diane Baylor
- Renee Baylor
- Karen Brew
- Amy Cooper
- Cindy Dunne
- Mary Beth Evans
- Diane Greenwald
- Ronny Hersch
- Anne Lyons
- Joan Mazur
- Kitt Rosenthal
Read descriptions of each of the LWVS committees here
The LWV Scarsdale is also a member of:
Read a short History of the League of Women Voters
. The fascinating story of Scarsdale's Suffragists
should not be missed!