Qualifications to Register to Vote in New York State
Absentee Ballot Information
You are eligible for an ABSENTEE BALLOT if:
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
- live at your present address at least 30 days before an election;
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction and;
- not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
- Am I already registered?
- Register by mail in English
- Register by mail in Spanish
- Register in person at your County Board of Elections
- Register online through the DMV
- Other ways to register in NY
- Registering outside of NY
o You will be absent from the County on Election Day; OR
o You are unable to go to the polls because of an illness or disability, or
because you are the primary care giver of someone who is ill or
physically disabled; OR
o You are a patient or inmate in a Veterans' Administration Hospital; OR
o You are in jail awaiting Grand Jury action or in prison after conviction for
an offense other than
Go to LWV They Represent You brochure to see who represents you in national, state, county and local governments
Go to NYS Voter Registration Search to check your voter registration status and find your polling place.
Go to LWV Voters Guide 2018 - Part I - Facts for Voters and
LWV Voters Guide 2018 - Part II - Candidates Information for more voting information.
OTHER USEFUL LINKS
STUDENT VOTING INFO
- Trouble voting? Suspect a problem? Call these hotlines
to speak to a trained Election Protection volunteer.
- New York State Board of Elections website - Provides valuable information regarding New York voter registration, absentee ballots, voting machines, changing your name or address, election results and much more. It also provides an overview of voter laws, campaign finance and the New York political calendar.
- Westchester County Board of Elections website - Provides local information regarding Westchester County. It also provides local contact information for specific voter questions regarding registration and absentee voting. The office is located at 25 Quarropas Street, White Plains where there are staff available to answer questions as well as all documents that you might need to address your voting questions.
- For questions contact Scarsdale League Voter Services at VoterService@lwvs.org