The vote is the emblem of your equality, women of America, the guaranty [sic] of your liberty. That vote of yours has cost millions of dollars and the lives of thousands of women. Women have suffered agony of soul which you never can comprehend, that you and your daughters might inherit political freedom. The vote has been costly. Prize it! The vote is a power, a weapon of offense and defense, a prayer. Use it intelligently, conscientiously, prayerfully. Progress is calling to you to make no pause. Act!Carrie Chapman Catt, August 1920
Democracy Depends on You — One Voter at a Time
VOTING UPDATES RELATING TO COVID-19
On August 20, 2020, Governor Cuomo signed legislation expanding absentee voting in New York State. All New York State voters may apply to vote by absentee ballot using the temporary illness clause, which now includes being unable to appear due to risk of contracting or spreading a communicable disease like COVID-19. For more information, view our Absentee Ballot Information page.
NYS VOTER REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Qualifications to Register to Vote in New York State
- be a United States citizen;
- be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
- live at your present address at least 30 days before an election;
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction and;
- not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
To see if you are already registered, follow this link to the NYS Voter Registration Database Search.
Methods to register to vote or to enroll/change/update your political party or other aspect of your registration:
- Register by mail in English
- Register by mail in Spanish
- Register in person at your County Board of Elections
- Register online through the DMV
- Other ways to register in NY
- Registering outside of NY
OTHER USEFUL LINKS
- Vote 411
- NYS Board of Elections
- Westchester County Board of Elections
- Westchester County Fair Campaign Practices
STUDENT VOTING INFO
If you have trouble voting or suspect a problem, call these hotlines to speak to a trained Election Protection volunteer.
- Call 866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683) or visit 866OurVote.Org.
- Call 888-VE-Y-VOTA (888-839-8682) for bilingual assistance in Spanish.
- Call 888-API-VOTE (888-274-8683) for bilingual assistance in English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Urdu, Hindi, and Bengali.
NYS VOTING REFORMS
- Party enrollment deadline extended to February 14, 2020, for purposes of eligibility to vote in Presidential Primary
- Other NYS voting reforms passed in 2019 (in addition to early voting)
- For additional questions regarding voting or the elections, please contact the LWVS Voter Service Chairs.